- Developer: Queer Code
- Release Date: 2021
- Platforms: Oculus Rift / Rift S/ Quest with Link
- Additional Platforms (Using Revive):
HTC Vive/Vive Pro/Vive Eye/
Windows Mixed Reality Headsets
- Website: www.queercode.org/projects/mementorium
- Press Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- About the Studio: Queer Code is a design and research-based studio that designs, develops, and researches new models of code and coding with queer and trans experiences at the forefront. We explore computing at the intersections of critical theory, virtual reality, complexity, and interactive art. Our work involves developing interactive and immersive computer simulations that integrate narrative storytelling with coding, and digital art.
- Social Media:
Mementorium is a heartfelt story about identity and belonging told through a branching narrative in virtual reality. Uncover memories of gender and sexuality bias inside “mementos” that transport you to a dreamlike environment. Choose your story through playful interactions to transform your “mementorium” into a place of strength and belonging. Shape your story and discover, “who can we become when we belong?”
2021 Rosie Award Winner, Best Narrative Game or Interactive Project, Alberta Media Production Industries Association (AMPIA)
Festivals & Exhibitions
2021 ACM SIGGRAPH Immersive Pavilion (Association for Computing Machinery’s Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques)
2021 Official Selection, FIVARS in FALL Festival (Festival of International Virtual and Augmented Reality Stories)
- Fully voice acted with English subtitles.
- teleportation and free motion;
- height adjustment;
- turn off/on haptic feedback;
- turn off/on subtitles;
- volume adjustments for music, dialogue, and SFX;
- touch or distanced grabbing and interaction;
- left or right, one-handed mode;
- The narrative and game design are informed by academic research on virtual reality, learning sciences, gender and sexuality education, and 10+ years of DEI teaching and community organizing in postsecondary, workplace, and community settings.
- Utilizes narrative therapy, interactive narrative, and embodied learning techniques to support learning about gender and sexuality-based marginalization, particularly in STEM and computing education.
- Original soundtrack composed by Sophia Marlow