- Developer: Queer Code Collective
- Release Date: Late 2021/Early 2022
- Platforms: Oculus Rift / Rift S/ Quest with Link
- Website: www.queercode.org/projects/mementorium
- Press Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- About the Studio: The Queer Code Collective is a design and research-based collective that designs, develops, and researches new models of code and coding with queer and trans experiences at the forefront. We explore computing at the intersections of critical theory, virtual reality, complexity, computing education, and interactive art. Our work involves developing interactive and immersive computer simulations that integrate narrative storytelling with coding, computing, and digital art.
- Social Media:
Mementorium is a heartfelt story about identity and belonging told through a branching narrative in virtual reality. Uncover memories of gender and sexuality bias inside “mementos” that transport you to a dreamlike environment. Choose your story through playful interactions to transform your “mementorium” into a place of strength and belonging. Shape your story and discover, “who can we become when we belong?”
- Fully voice acted with English subtitles.
- teleportation and free motion;
- height adjustment;
- turn off/on haptic feedback;
- turn off/on subtitles;
- volume adjustments for music, dialogue, and SFX;
- touch or distanced grabbing and interaction;
- left or right, one-handed mode;
- OpenDyslexic font for subtitles and menu.
- The narrative and game design are informed by academic research on virtual reality, learning sciences, gender and sexuality education, and 10+ years of DEI teaching and community organizing in postsecondary, workplace, and community settings.
- Utilizes narrative therapy, interactive narrative, and embodied learning techniques to support learning about gender and sexuality-based marginalization, particularly in STEM and computing education.
- Original soundtrack composed by Sophia Marlow